STAAR testing season is here! Below please find the upcoming test dates and some tips for helping your student be successful on the exams.
April 9 – 7th Grade Writing, 8th Grade Math, 9th Grade English I
April 10 – 8th Grade Reading
April 11 – 10th Grade English II
Tips for Success (adapted from study.com)
- Sleep. Because tests are four or five hours long, it’s important to be well-rested.
- Eat Right. Eat a balanced breakfast and bring healthy snacks for test day. To keep energy levels up and avoid crashing, don’t have too much sugar or caffeine.
- Arrive on Time. Parents, please bring your child to school on time so that they are not stressed from starting the test late.
- Take Breaks. A STAAR test is not a race. It’s important that students go at their own paces and take breaks.
- Dress Comfortably. Make sure to dress in layers in clothes that are comfortable for long periods of time.
- Be Confident. A positive attitude goes a long way. Students who stress about tests may want to review this short lesson on how to beat test anxiety.
- Plan a Treat. Give yourself (or your student) something to look forward to. Plan something special – be it a movie, favorite dinner, or other outing – to celebrate when testing is finished.
Students, you still have time to prepare! Please make sure you’re completing your software practice (ALEKS, No Red Ink, Khan Academy, HRW, Pearson, etc.) and that you’re completing all of the practice material your teacher gives you. You should practice a little bit at home each night to make sure all of the content and skills are fresh on April 9! It’s also a good idea to attend tutorials, and the schedule can be found here.
Please see this link for more information!